Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Work, work, work

So I've got a question for you all out there...

Have there been days where no matter what you're doing, you still wind up NOT getting the job done that you initially set out to do?

I find that more and more often, I'm unable to complete even the smallest task without being redirected at least 10-15 times.

Take yesterday for example:

My plan was to get the lawn mowed.

Normally, this consists of getting the mower, making sure there's gas in it, starting it up, and off I go.

Yesterday? Had to walk aroud the yard and pick up the toys that the kids left lying ALL OVER the house and yard. After filling up three plastic totes of toy mayhem, I then had to go back and pick up dog doo, mainly because my oldest refuses to stoop to scoop, and so he misses nearly everything the dog does in the yard. Then, I had to move all of the yard furniture that had been set out for our last (aborted) barbecue. In moving the furniture, my wife called out for me to put the chairs in the shed.

Opening the shed, I find that the kids have been throwing their stuff in here, and there's no way on God's green earth that I'm going to be able to get past the doors, let alone put the chairs in the shed. So I proceed to clean the shed, so that the chairs can get put away.

Wife notices the shed getting cleaned, and calls to see if I could also find the spare lightbulbs and a small screwdriver.

Screwdriver? Yes. Seems she's lost something in the dryer, and needs to take off the backing in order to get it back. Open tool chest, enter house.

By this time, there's a half-clean lawn, a mower full of gas sitting outside the shop, and kids stuff sitting outside the shed.

I fix the dryer problem, replace lightbulbs, and clean up the rest. I return the screwdriver to the tool chest, and proceed to continue cleaning out the shed. I stumble upon some blackberry killer that I'd bought a year ago to help kill out the menace that is growing in my hedges. Realizing that delay only lets this beast grow stronger, I then put on gloves and a face shield, and go and spray the evil blackberry bushes. I then throw away the old bottle (recycle of course!), wash up, and head back out to clean the shed.

I finally get the shelves cleared that the kids' toys need to go on when my wife calls me for dinner. I go inside, clean up, and eat. Then I help with washing dishes. My wife tells me that she needs to run, because she's got a dance class, then she's going to get some groceries, and then she's running over to a friend's house to watch the finale of one of "her shows". I look outside, and dusk is rapidly approaching.

I finish the dishes, get kids ready for bed, and then rush outside and throw all the kid stuff into the shed, and push the mower back into the shop. I then swear to myself that I'll get it done.. Tomorrow.

Well, here's to hoping!

No comments: