Wednesday, September 10, 2008

More Ponderings and Panderings..

Well, yesterday I was talking about my wife and her dreams...

Today, I think I'll talk about... Politics!

It seems like everyone is jumping on the bandwagon, and screaming about who they think would be the best fit for the US's next President...

Me? I say let my 7 year old run the country.. He's not going to lie to you, he's going to be bluntly and painfully honest about his opinion, and he's going to respect and value the advice he's given.

However, he's also going to throw temper tantrums, be stubborn, fuss, and want his way.. But that's something we've seen and dealt with in presidents that are over 5 times his age!

I don't mind voting. Hell, I don't mind listening to some of their speeches.

What I _do_ mind is all of the finger pointing, and name calling, and mudslinging that follows during the election campaign.

Who is going to outmanuver whom? Was deciding to remain "neutral" during a recent hot topic a wise idea? Is the candidate black, white, asian, hispanic, etc?

Who cares??

What I want to know is this:

Does ANYONE really know how well they're going to do when they get into the office?

The answer: Plain and simply.. NO. Sorry, but NO.

You never know what kind of hardships, or outside influences are going to put even more pressure on a high-profile position like this. You don't know what groups are going to take offense at something you do (or don't do), and then lobby to have you impeached. You just don't know! There's no kind of forecast that is going to be able to take in all of the variables, so there's no way in hell that you're going to be able to tell me that this person is better suited than that one.

The one thing that I listen to in all of this is simple:

Who tries to let their experience show by just letting their history speak for itself? Don't get some publicist to start trumpeting all of your great accomplishments, and downplay your mistakes. If anything, downplay your success, and show how you overcame your mistakes. That would impress me even more!

If anything, I could trust that my 7 year old would know this one! Humility is something I've been trying to teach my kids (mainly because I tend to brag too much, and I'm quite outspoken). Be humble about what you're able to do, but be firm and resolute about how you can handle anything that gets thrown at you. If you fail, work to fix it. Improve at what you're weakest at, and you'll become that much more of a better person for it. Then when something of that nature comes along again, you'll be better able to handle what it throws at you the next time.

Anyway, I'm done with this rant.

For this election, I'm voting for my kids. I think they'll be able to do the job, and maybe make less of a mess than the last 2 presidents have done..

No comments: