Tuesday, March 31, 2009

We're not in Kansas anymore..

You know, I've often wondered what's happening with our economy and society today.

Maybe I'm just a throwback because most of my raising was done by my grandparents..

I mean, whatever happened to taking responsibility for your actions?

I don't see many of our banks and lending institutions taking responsibility for the things they've done. They're just trying to cover over their mistakes, and have someone else pay for it all.

How about taking pride in your work?

I've blogged on here quite a few times about the idiots I work with. However, I wouldn't be caught dead trying to pass off some half-assed work just because I know that it would be ruined in a tenth of the time it took to fix. Why? Because it's my job, and I'll do it to the best of my ability.

There are trends and common occurances that I've witnessed that really start to bother me. "Plausible deniability" and such are phrases that I really don't like to see in the news, but they seem to happen all to often.

"Don't blame me, I was following orders."

Yeah. I hate this one too. Why? Because the lump of fat you have sitting on your shoulders should give you some idea of what's right, and what's wrong. If it's wrong, you need to stand up for what's right. Don't just turn your head, and do it because you were told to. That is what makes a person an accessory. Stand up for what you've been taught, and do the right thing. You'll stand out, you'll stand apart, and you'll be marked. This isn't a bad thing. Why? Because you'll be the one in the right, and doing what is right is always the best bet.

It might not always be popular.

It might get you into trouble from time to time.

It might even cost you more than you're willing to give.

But I've decided that I'm going to take a stand.

I'm going to be accountable for my actions. I'm not going to follow the group, and I'm not going to be one to shy away from the confrontation either.

I'm here to say that things aren't looking too nice, and I want to change that.

I'm here to say that if more folks were to take responsibility for what they say and do, we wouldn't be in the serious mess we're in now.

Who's with me on this?

I know. Not many. It's not feasible.

That's what makes it that much more of a challenge.

4 comments:

Tracy Rambles On And On said...

I agree with you on this.
It seems to me that these big companies and just individuals themselves have taken on the idea that nothing is ever their fault, they are responsible for nothing, and they will always have someone else to blame for it.
It's funny to me because I deal with it every day in my house from my children who are 9,7, and 3.
But this is what happens when kids are raised without structure, responsibility, rules, or being accountable for their own actions.
They grow into adults who feel that they don't have to give their best at any job, they don't have to listen to anyone in a higher position, and someone else is always to blame.
If they aren't doing their job right and get called on it they feel it's right to say "well, so and so never told me to do it the right way. It's not my fault."
I'm with you on this Jorm.
That's why my husband and I have always made sure that our children understand that whatever actions they do, they are accountable for them, not someone else.
Unfortunately, I am only putting three of these people out into the world someday. I can only hope that they don't fall prey to the others who were raised differently.

Hubman said...

I'm with you!

And I wish more were too!

Dana said...

Was there ever any doubt that I was with you??

Jaime said...

accountability? how about all those people out there who intentionally took out mortgages they knew they couldn't afford? i have no sympathy for them.