Friday, April 22, 2011

Thoughts on Easter

I was raised in a Southern Baptist household. I have studied many forms of Christianity, plus various other religions. I consider myself fairly well schooled when it comes to the many different forms of religion, and their beliefs and teachings.

However, I tend to forget something that to this day nearly brings me to my knees in awe and wonder.

This evening, as I was finishing my homework for classes, I had been browsing the TV, and had it set on a channel that I usually enjoy watching for th different movies it shows. I paid little real attention to the movies, as I was completely focused on my work. However, something in the tone of the movie playing made me turn my head.

The Passion of the Christ was showing, and they had gotten to the point where Jesus was being flogged for the satisfaction of the Hebrew High priests.

The total and complete savagery and brutality of his flogging is something I don't think I'll ever be able to get out of my mind. From the first time I saw this movie, I still tend to downplay just how much of a beating this man took. He was beaten within an inch of his life, but spared only to hang in the worst possible way that someone could be executed in those days.

It is times like these when I am glad for my faith, and for the love I have for my creator. If not for his sacrifice and blood and love, I would be nothing but a lump of human clay destined for death.

As it is, I am an angelic being destined for life everlasting once this mortal husk is gone.

Have a great Easter, and God Bless!

No comments: