Wednesday, December 17, 2008

WTF Wednesday

OK.

Today I've got a personal bitch, and it has made me say "WTF?" a few different times today.

All last night the news forecasters were talking about the weather front that is coming in, and how bad of a snowstorm we're going to be getting.

Now realize that this ISN'T the midwest. People here start to really freak out when they see the white stuff fall from the sky. Rain, fine. Sleet? I can deal.

Soft fluffly snow?

Lemme outta here!

Thus, we've gotten about 2 1/2 inches of snow so far. Not much, but enough that I've personally seen three wrecks since it started falling.

Now the warehouse I work at isn't in a busy area. We're one of only five buildings in the surrounding area, and two of them are residences.

Tonight is the night for our Christmas dinner here at work, so not only am I getting to sit here and watch the snow pile up, but I get to wait until after dark for it to freeze solid before I climb into my car and try to drive home.

Now, I'm not worried about _MY_ driving in the snow.

What really freaks me out are all of the other insane drivers..

You know who I'm talking about.

The folks who drive like there's nothing on the roads, and then you see them wrapped around the highway median a few miles further because of some ice..

Or the idiot who's driving 10 miles an hour down the center of traffic, and weaving side to side in order to keep everyone else from "throwing crap" onto his windshield.

Or the trucker who's on the far right, but swapping lanes with no signal, and shoving other cars left and right as he tries to make his shipping timetable.

Yes, I get to deal with all of these, and a few more....

The worst part?

It was completely clear when I came to work this morning.

No clouds.

No rain.

Nada.

Now I'm just kind of curious how bad it is at home, and whether I should take a personal day off tomorrow!

12 comments:

Another Ordinary Girl said...

I know what you mean about other drivers. I know I drive just fine in the snow but it's the SUV's that pass me going 50 because they have 4 wheel drive, and the trucks that ride my ass because I am not going fast enough for them. Sometimes I want to just jack on my breaks and let them hit me!

Jennybean said...

UGH! Tell me about bad snow drivers... due to previous experiences, I am always on the look out for the guy headed in my direction about to spin out, or the one riding my ass that may not be able to stop when I need too. Always have an out...

Chat Blanc said...

I feel for ya. even here in the midwest it seems people forget (year to year) how to drive in snow. the first few snow storms of the winter are cause for chaos. freaking unbelievable!

Anonymous said...

We've had snow since Thanksgiving (yeah, midwest) and it has taken that long for people to figure it out. We are also short on salt this year so they are only salting the streets ever four snowstorms or some such nonsense. They have hardly plowed so it's game every time I drive. I'm just thankful I didn't get my car repaired from when the tree fell on it.

Bee said...

I hope you arrived home okay. It took my hubs 4 hours to get home last night. :o(

Brad said...

Take the day...for the love of god, take the day...

...yes, I'm planning on having a serious illness tomorrow as well...

Anonymous said...

Ah, the sweet sweet joys of winter weather. Nothing like watching everyone panic over some soft fluffy snow. :)

PinkPiddyPaws said...

screw it.. I say call out for the rest of the damn year!! Oh wait.. that's MY plan..ha..ha.ha...!!!

- said...

So did you take the day off? or?

Hope ya have a nice weekend :)

*smiles*

Tonya said...

I am in Michigan snow is my life, if I have to sky or snowboard on someones tailgate... I get where I am going.

Nanny Goats In Panties said...

Advice: You should ALWAYS take a personal day off tomorrow!

Jormengrund said...

Well, I have to say that I _did_ take your advice, and stayed home.

Well, mainly because it took an HOUR for me to get up my hill thanks to idiots driving with bald tires on a steep road packed with ice and snow..

I'm basically stranded here at home until the weather breaks, so I apologise in advance if I'm not here to write the posts you all so love and adore me for!

I'll try to get back as soon as I can.. Work needs me, and I really need to get back into my blogging form!